Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

Am 2007-05-15 11:25:56, schrieb Mgr. Peter Tuharsky:
> Do You think, that
> -compiling new upstream version of software against stable platform,
> building a package and distributing it

Containing NEW bugs and the loop goes on...  --  No Thanks!

> -needs more effort than
> -studying security fixes in upstream, backporting them to ancient
> version of software (if it's barely possible), compiling it against
> stable platform, building a package and distributing it?

> Not much desktop software is really such inter-complex-connected that
> upgrading version of single software breaks something else. I have

Are you happy?

OpenOffice.org and Mozilla are ONLY two examples of the bunch I have!

> routinely used main desktop software's installations from upstream in
> Debian stable and they have broken _nothing_ for me, being totally
> out-of-distro packages or compiled from source. I don't see real danger
> here as long as we can guarentee stable platform that the software would
> be compiled against.

How many Packages do you have installed on your Computer?

I maintain currently 2800 Computers (mostly workstations) and I track
all required Packages and burn them on my own CCD. -- 1683 Packages!

Debian has OVER 19.000 binaries.

Do you have tested YOUR "from upstream compiled source" against the Disti?

I can not believe it!

I have self-coded software and other not in Debian-included too, but I
MUST do the same work as the Debian Developers do.  Thest MY EXTERNAL
software agains MY DEBIAN partial partal mirror. Otherwise i could break
installations of my customers.

This is MY job as Debian GNU/Linux Consultant.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)