Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

Am 2007-05-15 09:41:17, schrieb Mgr. Peter Tuharsky:
> The kernel, the X.org
>
> I realise, that the kernel and X.org are somewhat delicate things,
> because they affect both desktop and server. Changing them in the middle
> of release life, might not sound too well.

Sorry, thats not right!

I install regulary NEW kernels where Debian had only 2.4.27 I used
2.4.32/33 and thats NOT the same as pushing a NEW Xorg into stable.

The Kernels can be installed without any problems parallel, and if
one is not working, you boot the last working one.

If you install a NEW Xorg, it sucks nearly 60 packages with it and this
is not one thing, you can solv with a reboot on a production system.

> As of X, it's quite complex, however it's less the server and more the
> desktop thing, that could also get upgraded with some caution. Might
> also be the concern of volatile.
>
> Some server software occasionaly need an upgrade too.

Right and upgrading fro, xfree86 to xorg had pushed 280 new packages on
my test system and every new package can contain potential new bugs.

> However the ordinary desktop packages, environments and so on could get
> upgraded routinely IMO, with easy downgrade option. No need to do the
> whole stabilisation scrutiny.

You forger that DOWNGRADING is officialy NOT SUPPORTED by Debian.

And If you have upgraded Xorg to a newer version, good luck, while
downgrading 60-200 packages if it fails...

Do this in an Office of your customers...  They will kill you!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)