Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

[Peter Tuharsky]
> Ask somebody, what distro would he install at desktop for novice or M$
> refugee? Why many are choosing Ubuntu instead of Debian, and even
> worse, abandon Debian in favor of Ubuntu? Why do most people consider
> Debian to be user-unfriendly and server-oriented distro?

Interesting analysis, with several good points on keeping the stable
release working with newer hardware and keeping the software selection
relevant.  But my first impression after reading your long text is
that you are ignoring the work going on at backports.org, and the
ideas that has been floating around on making a Debian release based
on the stable version for the "base" packages, and include upgraded
packages like the kernel, X, Gnome, KDE and other hardware- and
user-interacting packages from backports.org.  You might want to have
a look into those ideas.

I've also seen ideas on making releases based on testing, now that we
have security fixes for the packages in testing.  It could give a
snapshot of internally consistent packages (as opposed to unstable).

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen