Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 21:43 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:
>
> > We're going OT, however my experience based on last two Debian
> releases:
> > testing becomes quite "stable in means of usability" somewhere half
> year
> > before it's released as "stable". The sooner before the stable, the
> rapidly
> > increasing is the chance that the snapshot that You have will not
> be
> > installable at all, will have dependencies severely broken, etc.
>
> In several mails you claimed testing as broken.  This is completely
> orthognal to my experience.  I'm using testing since its existence
> on most of my boxes.

To that, I run Sid/unstable on 90% of everything I have. Stable on those
machines that cannot have problems.

> Only production servers are running stable and I keep my fingers from
> running unstable (except of chroots).

I haven't seen an unstable problem that was a problem for more than a
couple of days... and mostly had workarounds in any case.

> So were is the proof for you statement.  What are the numbers of the
> bugs you might have reported against packages in testing? Could you
> please a bit more verbose about your problems in testing because
> nobody else made it to my radar that testing is that unusable. Perhaps
> I missed something ...

I've asked for specific examples.

> Kind regards
>
>             Andreas (writing from a laptop that runs testing. ;-))

Cheers from a Sid+Experimental machine.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05