Re: Debian desktop -situation, proposals for discussion and change. Users point of view.

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Mgr. Peter Tuharsky wrote:
> We're going OT, however my experience based on last two Debian releases:
> testing becomes quite "stable in means of usability" somewhere half year
> before it's released as "stable". The sooner before the stable, the
> rapidly increasing is the chance that the snapshot that You have will
> not be installable at all, will have dependencies severely broken, etc.

The goal of testing is to be continuously installable with as few RC
bugs as we can manage. In general, it approaches this goal closely
enough to be usable almost constantly.

> That's why I suggest: focus on base platform, stabilise it, polish the
> dependencies. Then compile software against it and release it, compile
> newer version and release it, etc.. Desktop software itself shouldn't
> break dependencies.

If only that were the case. Most of the bugs and pain in transition
that we run into are not in the base system itself, but in everything
else that people actually want to use on their Debian system.

While I am glad that you are interested in making Debian better, you
need to pitch in and become conversant with the problems that we
actually have; only then will you be able to present solutions to
those problems.

Don Armstrong

--
Any excuse will serve a tyrant.