Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> Well my farther is going to get a new system for cad soon, which the
> current plan is to have 64bit vista with solidworks 64bit running.  But
> it might be another month or two before he is ready for it, so hopefully
> by then any remaining driver issues are worked out. :)

Manufacturers of professional graphics hardware are certainly aware or
their CAD customers and provide win64 drivers.  Otherwise you need
network drivers and you are good to go on a CAD workstation.

> I think in general the 3d modeling and cad users will very much like
> 64bit windows.  Many of the 3d modeling people ran windows xp 64bit
> version in beta for a long time because they couldn't wait for it to be
> done.

Yes.  I see questions about win64 every week in the Autodesk Inventor
discussion group.  Unfortunately, the answer is always: No, but at
least it will get up to 4 GB of memory.  You will get a similar answer
if yo ask about multicores.  And the really sad thing is that this is
even true for the upcomming release.

If only software vendors would accept Linux as a platform...  Life
would already be much better.

Matthias