Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> Actually I wouldn't say win64 is broken, it just has a serious lack of
> drivers, which of course will continue as long as nobody is using it.
> If microsoft wanted to solve this they should mandate 64bit drivers
> along with 32bit drivers in order to certify a driver for vista.  Until
> they force drivers to exist, 64bit windows will be a niche market for
> high end servers only.

Workstations as well.  CAD is one example.  You can never have enough
memory there.  I could imagine the same is true for video processing
or rendering and similar applications.  I guess it won't become
mainstream until there are a siginficant number of 64bit games.

Matthias