Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 02:27:18PM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
> Workstations as well.  CAD is one example.  You can never have enough
> memory there.  I could imagine the same is true for video processing
> or rendering and similar applications.  I guess it won't become
> mainstream until there are a siginficant number of 64bit games.

Well my farther is going to get a new system for cad soon, which the
current plan is to have 64bit vista with solidworks 64bit running.  But
it might be another month or two before he is ready for it, so hopefully
by then any remaining driver issues are worked out. :)

I think in general the 3d modeling and cad users will very much like
64bit windows.  Many of the 3d modeling people ran windows xp 64bit
version in beta for a long time because they couldn't wait for it to be
done.  But yes until some game finds a good reason to go 64bit, it
probably won't take off in a big way.  Now if some game happens to run
20% faster in 64bit mode, I think people will start paying attension.

--
Len Sorensen