/etc/udev/rules.d non-symlinks

I'm proposing that we change our de-facto policy for handling of files
in /etc/udev/rules.d. Currently it is this (from udev's README.Debian):

  Packages should NEVER create files in /etc/udev/rules.d/, but create a
  symlink the first time the package is installed (and never try again, to
  allow the local system administrator to remove it).

The intent is to let users disable a udev rule by removing the symlink, or
reorder a rule to a different number by renaming the symlink. Putting a rules
conffile directly in /etc/udev/rules.d/ wouldn't allow for this, and as Marco
says in #359614, this "may be useful. Or at least appeared to be useful when
I designed this." My question is simply whether anyone actually finds this
useful?

See #359614 for further discussion, including a note that Ubuntu's debhelper
has already switched to not using symlinks. This is what I plan to do unless
a reason emerges not to.

--
see shy jo