Re: 64-bit transition deadline (Re: Etch in the hands of the Stable Release Managers)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 02:27:18PM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:
>
> > Actually I wouldn't say win64 is broken, it just has a serious lack of
> > drivers, which of course will continue as long as nobody is using it.
> > If microsoft wanted to solve this they should mandate 64bit drivers
> > along with 32bit drivers in order to certify a driver for vista.  Until
> > they force drivers to exist, 64bit windows will be a niche market for
> > high end servers only.
>
> Workstations as well.  CAD is one example.  You can never have enough
> memory there.  I could imagine the same is true for video processing
> or rendering and similar applications.  I guess it won't become
> mainstream until there are a siginficant number of 64bit games.

You mean win64-only games?  Nobody dares to invest in developing that now;
it would be suicidal.  If a game really needs bigmem, PAE is much more
feasible (it is a trap, but that's not a problem for the game vendor ;-)).

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot@aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.