Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On 10927 March 1977, Bart Martens wrote:

>> Three week vacation periods are not uncommon.
> Of course, and I'm sure everyone knows that.  When I read the
> announcement again, then I see no reason to panic. :)
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/02/msg00008.html

> An example, how I understand the announcement:
> - a DD skips the coming DPL vote,
> - this DD forgets to register "on vacation",
> - this DD goes on vacation for 4 weeks,
> - DAM sends a WaT e-mail,
> - DAM waits a reasonable time for a reply :)

That will be one or two months, so a very reasonable time.

> - the DD is back from vacation,
> - the DD has missed the WaT e-mail,
> - DAM decides to set the account to "emeritus state",

No reply is disabled state.

> - e-mail still works for 12 months,

Its 6, same as emeritus.

> - the DD notices the reduced permissions with next package update,
> - the DD contacts DAM, "huuuh my account is locked!"
> - DAM restores the full account, "hi you're back, how was vacation"

Yes, basically. So to get your account in a state where you can only
come back by full NM you need to

  - "miss" the vote, which (as Manoj described) should generate enough
    noise to not miss it[1],
  - miss the WaT mail. Even if you are on vacation for a long time, I
    guess it wont be 3 weeks (vote) plus one or two months (WaT mail
    timeout), and dont you read your backlog when you come back?
  - miss the 12 months of account disabled before you lose the ability
    to come back without full NM.

This sums up to 13 - 14 months of do-nothing to completly lose the
account. That should be *plenty* of time to send one mail...

> This seems very reasonable.  Or have I misunderstood something?

[1] well, except you have like long vacation right now. Or unplanned
    hospital stay or something like this, which is the reason disabled
    can get back within the 12 month of deactivation...

--
bye Joerg
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there