Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 09:22 +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 09:40:31PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:54:56 -0600, Jon Marler
> > <jmarler-reply@emarler.com> said:
> >
> > > I have a question ... How do I keep my Debian maintainer status if I
> > > miss the vote?  Is there a website I can log in to "raise my hand"
> > > and keep from being booted out?
> >
> >         While this is a legitimate question, but how likely is it that
> >  people can "miss" the vote? debian-devel-announce is the one list
> >  people are supposed to be subscribed to, and for a period of 9 weeks
> >  there are (almost) weekly announcements about the forthcoming vote
> >  (nominations get 4 mails, platforms get at least one, debates a few,
> >  and then there are 4 ballot mails).
> >
> >         There is a three week period where ballots can be cast.
>
> Three week vacation periods are not uncommon.

Of course, and I'm sure everyone knows that.  When I read the
announcement again, then I see no reason to panic. :)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/02/msg00008.html

An example, how I understand the announcement:
- a DD skips the coming DPL vote,
- this DD forgets to register "on vacation",
- this DD goes on vacation for 4 weeks,
- DAM sends a WaT e-mail,
- DAM waits a reasonable time for a reply :)
- the DD is back from vacation,
- the DD has missed the WaT e-mail,
- DAM decides to set the account to "emeritus state",
- e-mail still works for 12 months,
- the DD notices the reduced permissions with next package update,
- the DD contacts DAM, "huuuh my account is locked!"
- DAM restores the full account, "hi you're back, how was vacation"

This seems very reasonable.  Or have I misunderstood something?