Re: Please don't list available translations in the package description

On Friday 07 December 2007, Leo "costela" Antunes wrote:
> Enrico Zini wrote:
> > I'm thinking of filing bugs, but I'd like to get some feedback here
> > first.
>
> While I agree it's an issue (albeit a small one), I think we shouldn't
> file bugs for it while there's no better place to put this information.
> It may reduce the objectiveness of some searches, but it is still
> valuable information.

Almost no packages currently do this, hence relying on the package
description to check wether a package is localized for your language is
completely unreliable.

For a list of localised packages check http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/
for your language, true it only cover's gettext localisations but that's
99% of all localisation in free software anyway (this misses some localised
webapps but that's about it AFAIK)

For a specific package you can also use apt-file or packages.debian.org to
check for the presence of a <lang-code>.po file for your language.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)