Re: Syslog file paths in 'metalog'? (#423299)

On 06-Dec-07, 07:09 (CST), Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
> I'd like to hear your opinions on whether alternative syslog daemons
> would need to use the exact same paths and file names as the sysklogd
> does. syslog-ng's default config mimics sysklogd's behavior. At least
> switching from sysklogd to metalog wouldn't be possible without user
> interaction and confusion.

I personally think the defaults should be the same, so that when one
installs e.g. metalog, the log files don't suddenly move. Also, various
logfile monitors/analyzers/viewers have default expectations about where
log files go.

I would include metalog's upstream defaults as an example, though, so
that an admin can easily convert to that, as well.

Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net