Doc-base section hierarchy (was: Re: doc-base, menu, and policy (Re: Debian Policy 3.7.3.0 uploaded))

Stefano Zacchiroli writes:

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 05:24:06PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
          (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/ch2.html#s2.1).
          Required field.

>> I am wondering if when a .doc-base file is not updated, it makes the

doc-base 0.8.7, I uploaded yesterday, already refers to the new hierarchy defined in menu package.

I found not reasonable that the doc-base hierarchy is bound to the menu
one.

I fully agree. Even though the newest doc-base tries to map old sections into new ones while generating control files in /var/lib/doc-base/documents, I really think that the doc-base and the menu hierarchies should be separated, however I need some help with this. If you have some ideas, how the hierarchy should be changed, I'm looking forward to hearing them.

The problem was already reported[1] several years ago and discussed on debian-devel than[2]. From that discussion I most like the proposal from [3] to made the hierarchy similar to that one from menu package, but with the "Apps" prefix removed. I think we could start from this but update it for the current menu structure (i.e change "Database" into "Data Management", "Maths" into "Science/Mathematics", etc, but remove any "Apps" or "Applications" prefix). Than we could add some top-level sections to it like "Debian".

A month ago I gathered some data about doc-base files (see [4] and [5]). Based on that data I prepared some statistics about current doc-base sections and also some mapping ("Apps/Applications" prefix removed):

OLD SECTION (COUNT)		   POSSIBLE NEW SECTION
 Hamradio (2)                    => Amateur Radio
 Databases (7)                   => Data Management
 Database (1)                    => Data Management
 Data Management (2)             => Data Management
 Debian (103)                    => Debian
 Debian/Installation (188)       => Debian/Installation
 Editors (28)                    => Editors or Editing
 Education (1)                   => Education
 Emulators (47)                  => Emulators
 Games (8)                       => Games
 Games/Arcade (11)               => Games/Action
 Games/Adventure (3)             => Games/Adventure
 Games/Tetris-Like (2)           => Games/Blocks
 Games/Board (16)                => Games/Board
 Games/Board/Chess (2)           => Games/Board/Chess
 Games/Card (5)                  => Games/Card
 Games/Educational (1)           => Games/Educational # not in menu hier.
 Games/Puzzles (8)               => Games/Puzzles
 Games/Simulation (2)            => Games/Simulation
 Games/Strategy (4)              => Games/Strategy
 Games/Toys (7)                  => Games/Toys
 Graphics (76)                   => Graphics
 Help (27)                       => Help
 Manpages (1)                    => Help
 Faq (8)                         => Help/FAQ   or FAQ
 Howto (4)                       => Help/HOWTO or HOWTO
 Rfc (16)                        => Help/RFC   or Standards/RFC or RFC
 Standards (1)                   => Help       or Standards
 Net (112)                       => Network
 Mail (16)                       => Network/Communication # like in menu
 Contrib/Libs (1)                => Programming
 Development (4)                 => Programming
 Devel (77)                      => Programming
 Libs (4)                        => Programming or Programming/$language
 Non-Free/Devel (1)              => Programming
 Programming (704)               => Programming or Programming/$language
 Programming/Java (2)            => Programming/Java
 Lisp/Documentation (1)          => Programming/Lisp
 Lisp/Net (1)                    => Programming/Lisp
 Python (2)                      => Programming/Python
 Libdevel (5)                    => Programming
 Science (75)                    => Science
 Science/Biology (5)             => Science/Biology
 Electronics (6)                 => Science/Electronics
 Math (110)                      => Science/Mathematics
 Science/Medicine (1)            => Science/Medicine
 Technical (8)                   => Science/Electronics  #like in menu
 Shells (7)                      => Shells
 Audio (2)                       => Sound
 Sound (41)                      => Sound
 Music (5)                       => Sound
 System (48)                     => System
 Admin (23)                      => System/Administration
 System/Security (1)             => System/Security
 Xshells (5)                     => Terminal Emulators
 Text (87)                       => Text
 Utilities (1)                   => Utilities or Tools
 Utils (9)                       => Utilities or Tools
 Tools (100)                     => Utilities or Tools
 Viewers (3)                     => Viewers
 Windowmanagers (8)              => Window Managers
 Windowmanager (2)               => Window Managers
 X11/Window Managers (1)         => Window Managers

Sections with no obvious mapping:
 1 (1)                           =>
 Apps (2)                        =>
 Base (1)                        =>
 Book (2)                        => possibly Help
 Comm (3)                        =>
 Docs (1)                        => possibly Help
 Doc (6)                         => possibly Help
 Fr/Comm (1)
 Gnome (1)                       =>
 Interpreters (5)                =>
 Misc (12)                       =>
 Optional (1)                    =>
 Printing (1)                    =>
 Tex (14)                        => TeX or Editors/TeX or Editing/TeX
 Unknown (11)                    =>
Web/W3c (3) => maybe Web Developement/W3 or Help/W3 or Standards/W3 Web/W3 (138) => maybe Web Developement/W3 or Help/W3 or Standards/W3
 Web (21)                        => maybe Web Developement
 X11 (8)                         =>

Best Regards,
robert

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/109431