Re: doc-base, menu, and policy (Re: Debian Policy 3.7.3.0 uploaded)

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 05:24:06PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> according to the doc-base manual (2.3.2.1):
>
>      _Section_
>           Section where the document belongs; this should follow the
>           sections outlined in The Debian Menu sub-policy
>           (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/ch2.html#s2.1).
>           Required field.
>
> I am wondering if when a .doc-base file is not updated, it makes the package
> uncompliant with the new Policy, or only with the doc-base manual ?

I would say only with the doc-base manual, but as I've expressed before,
I found not reasonable that the doc-base hierarchy is bound to the menu
one. Beside not being meant to be browsed as a menu is (different user
goal, the ability to do an automated search which is missing in a menu,
...), that choice make hard to use doc-base for subsystems (for example
having a section with all the library references of language X).

Cheers.