Re: Packages with httpd needs

Am Dienstag, 27. November 2007 schrieb Adeodato Simó:
> * Hans-J. Ullrich [Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:24:59 +0100]:
> > Dear list,
>
> Hello Hans. If you verify that a given package can actually work with
> some HTTP server that is not apache, and the depends line of that
> package is like "Depends: apache" instead of "Depends: apache | httpd",
> please by all means file a bug asking for the "| httpd" bit to be added.
>
> Just for the record, it seems we have 64 packages that depend on apache
> but are not an apache module without an alternative dependency on httpd,
> versus 82 that have such alternative. But many of those 64 will be
> "false positives".
>
>   (grep-available -FDepends apache -a --not -FPackage apache -a --not
> -FDepends 'httpd' -c)
>
> Let me repeat, please only file bugs when there's proof or reasonable
> ground to believe that the package will work with non-apache servers.
>
> Cheers,

Yes, I understand. Well, I do not expect, all packages now to be changed. My
intention with my mail was to beg maintainers to take a look, when they will
build packages (in the future) or newer versions, if it might be able to use
alternatives to apache2.

Of course, it might be no problem for me, to change dependencies within a
package by me, but an update would change this back.

And I hope, maybe some developers are thinking like me and things will change
in the future. Please define my mail just as a wish and a feedback to ALL
maintainers and the securityteam, too, in some kind.

And to some packages, I know they are working, I will give feedback.

Best regards

Hans