Re: Packages with empty directories

Hi

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:55:30 -0500
Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.unipd.it> wrote:

> I recently noticed that many of the binary packages in Debian have unnecessary
> empty directories in them,

How do you detect that the directory is "unnecessary"? It can be for
example used for storing data in /var.

> so I wrote a script to find all packages with any
> empty directories.  The results are too numerous to post on the list.  The
> list by maintainer/uploader is at
> http://people.debian.org/~schepler/empty-dirs-maint.txt
> and the full list of empty directories found is at
> http://people.debian.org/~schepler/empty-dirs.txt .
>
> Obviously, a lot of these will be false positives, so I definitely won't file
> mass bugs based on this list without checking the full details first.

I just checked my packages and all pure python modules using pycentral
have empty /usr/lib. This will be probably very usual cause of these
problems, just filed a bug for it. For the rest empty directories are
intentional, so false positives.