Re: [Pkg-samba-maint] RFC: cups as "default" printing system for lenny?

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):
> A few years back, Samba upstream began using CUPS as the default printing
> system whenever CUPS support was enabled.  At the time, cupsys was Priority:
> optional, and lpr as the standard Unix printing interface was Priority:
> standard (or higher), so I patched the Samba packages in Debian to default
> to BSD printing instead of CUPS.
>
> Today the circumstances have changed.  It seems that lpr was demoted to
> optional sometime before the etch release, putting it on equal footing with
> cupsys in that regard, and CUPS itself has IME improved markedly since the
> time that decision was made (I'm personally still not fond of the
> implementation, but at least it does a better job of talking to printers for
> me :).  So I have two questions:
>
> - Is there any remaining reason why the Samba maintainers shouldn't drop
>   this patch, switching to CUPS as the default print system?

I think that no objections to this was made so we might drop the
patch. DO you agree, Steve, or should we wait longer for other comments?

I vote for dropping the patch which is yet another step towards having
samba in Debian as close as possible as its upstream.

> - Should we consider raising the priority of cupsys to standard, to take the
>   place of lpr as an available-by-default printing system on stock installs?

Here, we clearly don't seem to have any consensus, but anyway, *this*
is not in samba maintainers hands, of course.