Re: RFC: cups as "default" printing system for lenny?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 09:21:46AM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
Manoj Srivastava wrote:

[lpr is standard on Unix]

That works well with cups if you have the cupsys-bsd package installed.

More importantly, programs (gv comes to mind) that don't have native printing support but use an external program almost always use lpr, not lp. (I can think of at most one that used lp, and numerous ones that used lpr.) So if we use CUPS as the default printing package, we almost certainly need the BSD utilities installed as well.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
a typesetting engine: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack