Mandatory support for -nocheck in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:35:00 +0100
Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:08:11PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Actually, Guillem has already filed the bug: 416450
> > [PROPOSAL] New option in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS to avoid running test-suites
> >
> > What needs to happen for that to be mandatory in Lenny?
>
> I am not sure - my plan was to have policy say that *if* there is a
> testsuite and *if* the maintainer chooses to run it during build and
> *if* the maintainer wants to allow the package builder to skip the
> testsuite during build, it should support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck.
>
> You seem to want to make it more strict than that - maintainers should
> always support nocheck when a testsuite is run (skipping the last if
> above)?

Correct.

Making the last stage optional means that -nocheck achieves nothing,
IMHO. If the maintainer chooses to allow 'make check' during the build,
I believe that Policy should stipulate that the maintainer must ensure
that 'make check' can be skipped when appropriate. I use make check in
some of my own packages, it is useful on things like the autobuilders.
However, if Debian is ever to cross-build successfully, EVERY test
suite that executes compiled code MUST be skipped when cross-building.
The simplest way to do that is to specify that cross-building must
pass -nocheck in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS and that all packages must obey
-nocheck.

Equally, every package that compiles a build tool using the native
compiler and then uses that to parse some config or other file, would
have to use CC_FOR_BUILD but those packages are relatively rare and
bugs against those packages should be sufficient to provide this
support.

retitled and CC'd d-policy@l.d.o

--

Neil Williams