Re: Warnings on shutdown (Debian Etch and Kernel 2.6.22.9)

Tejun Heo wrote:
Renato S. Yamane wrote:
Jim Paris wrote:
For Debian, I don't think there are any complete solutions yet.
The related bug is http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=426224

I think that we can fix this if someone can answer this:

$ man halt
"-h flag: This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn’t flush the write cache itself before power-off.."

How can I know if kernel write cache itself? :-)

Kernel has been flushing write cache for many many years now. Man page needs update. Also, flushing cache from halt is okay. What's hurting is spinning down the drive from halt.

So, I think that halt script need know:

- How many and who is IDE drives and SCSI/SATA drives.
- Devices with manage_start_stop as "0" or without manage_start_stop need "halt -h".
- Devices with manage_start_stop as "1" need only "halt".

This is correct?

Regards,
Renato