Re: Warnings on shutdown (Debian Etch and Kernel 2.6.22.9)

Renato S. Yamane wrote:
Jim Paris escreveu:
Tejun Heo wrote:
Ehh... I meant something along the line of...

"Info for Debian VERSION users : if you see this warning there are
several solutions... blah blah".

For Debian, I don't think there are any complete solutions yet.
The related bug is http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=426224

I think that we can fix this if someone can answer this:

$ man halt
"-h flag: This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn’t flush the write cache itself before power-off.."

How can I know if kernel write cache itself? :-)

Kernel has been flushing write cache for many many years now. Man page needs update. Also, flushing cache from halt is okay. What's hurting is spinning down the drive from halt.

--
tejun