Re: seeking: Ian Jackson

* martin f. krafft:

> also sprach Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [2007.10.10.1145 +0100]:
>> RFC 1123 contains this requirement:
>>
>>       5.2.2  Canonicalization: RFC-821 Section 3.1
>>
>>          The domain names that a Sender-SMTP sends in MAIL and RCPT
>>          commands MUST have been  "canonicalized," i.e., they must be
>>          fully-qualified principal names or domain literals, not
>>          nicknames or domain abbreviations.  A canonicalized name either
>>          identifies a host directly or is an MX name; it cannot be a
>>          CNAME.
>>
>> This means that it's fine to use domains pointing to CNAMEs in Internet
>> mail.
>
> I think it says exactly the opposite, don't you?

There's a difference between Internet mail and SMTP.  Internet mail
addresses (which are passed to /usr/sbin/sendmail, for instance) must be
canonicalized before they are used in SMTP.  At least that's the theory;
Exim doesn't do it.

Is this still unclear?  I don't really know how to explain this more
clearly.