Re: modified email address in debian/copyright file

Please don't email copies of list messages unless explicitly requested.

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> writes:

> On 11148 March 1977, Ben Finney wrote:
> > IANADD, but would argue that making the copyright file, including
> > any email addresses, machine-parseable is a worthwhile goal. This
> > goal precludes munging the address.
>
> You mean the foo at bar dot com value isnt parseable?

That form isn't the only way email addresses get munged. The line
needs to be drawn somewhere; I would argue "valid RFC2821 email
address" is the place to draw it.

> I dont think it has any value to encode an address like this, as any
> little spambot can EASILY decode that.

Agreed. I would not be against a policy requirement that email
addresses in package metadata should be the literal address without
munging.

--
 \           "If [a technology company] has confidence in their future |
  `\      ability to innovate, the importance they place on protecting |