Re: [RFC] Promoting the use of "Homepage:" field in debian/control

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

Ah, ok, so probably the initial proposal was to file bugs against
packages using the pseudo Homepage field in the description, asking the
maintainers to convert it in the new one.

No I think you did understand the initial proposal right, but I was
suggesting how we might more or less prevent false positives (while
missing all those that have no homepage mentioned at all).  My idea
also extends to those that do not use the string "homepage" or
"URL" in their control file but also list *any* URL in free text
in their description which is not inconvient and might have good
chances to be a link to the real home page.

That's of course trivial (and
still welcome). I was thinking about how to bug packages to actually
include an Homepage field where is actually missing ...

Moreover I said that we might be able to parse debian/copyright for
potential homepage strings.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--