Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Sep 13, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Karl Goetz wrote:

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 20:45 +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
John Kelly, 2007-09-12 18:33:12 +0000 :

Again, if Debian's highly esteemed social contract is for the
benefit of users, then why not let users vote?

We do, actually.  Those users who do show interest in influencing the
course of Debian by concrete actions rather than by mailing-list
trolling are entitled to vote.  Others aren't.

What counts as concrete actions?

Here are some: packaging, documenting, filing bugs, fixing bugs.

  How do we know the difference?  The criterion is known as the NM
process.  It's open to all.

NM.
Does this mean only packaging counts as "concrete actions"?

If packaging is the only 'concrete action' accepted, the idea that users
get a say *is* a joke.

karl.

So fixing a bug is a joke? No, of course not. There are so many ways to have a say in debian and change the code in debian directly that it renders your statement a non-sequitur.

	Jeremiah