Re: Bugfix/hardware support updates to stable releases?

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 20:05 -0400, Tim Hull wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About a month ago I inquired here as to what Debian is doing regarding
> backported updates for stable releases. I did get some good responses
> to that thread, and I see why Debian doesn't expend too much energy
> making significant updates (like new GNOME, Xorg, etc etc) to *stable*
> releases - it would make them *un*stable.
>
> However, this still leaves the question of bugfixes and hardware
> support updates - things that, while not necessarily "new-toolchain"
> complexity, are mostly excluded by the current updates policy. As of
> now, there is no way for stable users to get many bugfixes or support
> for hardware released recently (basically anything since fall of last
> year) without resorting to installing testing/unstable packages or
> unsupported packages, all of which are not security supported.

There are plans for an "etch + 1/2" release which would update the
kernel and X server to support newer hardware.  I don't what the status
or timetable for this is.

> In my case, this has been quite a pain, as I have had to backport the
> kernel and about 5 auxiliary packages from testing/unstable to get
> reasonable functionality on my machine (a MacBook).

Why not use backports.org?

> I've also had to backport libgksu to get a fix for a problem which
> causes there to be an extremely high amount of CPU wakeups when gksu
> is used (as that kills battery life).
>
> Is there any plans to work on supporting such issues in the stable
> release, either through -volatile or the release updates?
<snip>

Only release-critical bugs are fixed in a stable release.  You can get
non-critical fixes for some packages by selective use of backports.org.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...