Re: Bugfix/hardware support updates to stable releases?

There are plans for an "etch + 1/2" release which would update the
kernel and X server to support newer hardware.  I don't what the status
or timetable for this is.\

This would be great.  I'm curious who is working on it...

Why not use backports.org?

Well, none of what I need is there. (I guess the kernel is, but it's only 2.6.21 and I *need* 2.6.22).  It's also unofficial, so it's not something that a user buying a new machine would really want to use as a long term solution.

Only release-critical bugs are fixed in a stable release.  You can get
non-critical fixes for some packages by selective use of backports.org.

It seems like it would be good to have all fixes that can be done without disruption...

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...