Re: Bugfix/hardware support updates to stable releases?

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Tim Hull wrote:
> I've also had to backport libgksu to get a fix for a problem which
> causes there to be an extremely high amount of CPU wakeups when gksu
> is used (as that kills battery life).

The best thing for this is to use backports.org, and in the cases
where a package isn't available (and you've made one) consider asking
the maintainer to upload a backport (possibly using the patches you've
already made).

> It would be nice to be able to - for instance - easily install using
> a new kernel with better driver support when running on a recent
> machine.

The (continued?) ability of the development version of d-i to install
stable would be very useful in allowing this to happen. [Though I
suppose some machinations are required to get a kernel that actually
works installed if the one distributed doesn't work.]

Don Armstrong

--
The game of science is, in principle, without end. He who decides one
day that scientific statements do not call for any further test, and