Re: Why no Opera?

Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> writes:

> and there's precedent with the netscape communicator packages from the
> pre-mozilla days. These were statically linked against several things
> afaik, motif iirc.

One of the reasons to go to such lengths for Netscape was that at the time
there really was no competitor that could do the same things.  That isn't
the case any more.  I have friends who love Opera and swear by it, but
even they wouldn't say that Opera is somehow dramatically different than
Firefox or some other Gecko-based browser.  It's now more a matter of
preference than the only piece of software in the field.