Re: Why no Opera?

Le Tuesday 28 August 2007 00:17:40 Bruce Sass, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon August 27 2007 04:05:24 pm Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > And
> > it's no way we will accept the statically linked version in Debian.
>
> Why is that?

Quoting [1]:
External libraries

Many programs make use of external libraries - after all, there's no need to
reinvent the wheel every time. The distribution tar ball should not include
those libraries (source code or object code), or at least should also allow
an external copy of the library to be used. On one hand, including dozens if
not hundreds of copies of the same library wastes a lot of space, and on the
other hand, if this library has a security flaw, each copy needs to be fixed
(the classical example was a security flaw in the zlib library.)

For the same reasons, dynamic linking should be preferred over static linking
whenever possible: less wasted disk and memory, and a dynamic library can
just be replaced on a security upgrade, while applications with statically
linked libraries must be recompiled.

[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/SoftwarePackaging

Other general purpose questions like that should not take place in -devel but
in -mentors for instance.

Romain
--
Think the word peace means coming together ?
Peace is a diploma you get in the cementry