Re: what happened to social contract?

Hi nameless icelinux-mate,

icelinux@icelinux.net wrote:
>   I also think many of those here are sabotaging Debian and the entire
> free software community with the manner in which they respond to
> newcomers. The amount of time required to "spoonfeed" as one person
> put it, a person who wants to help but does not really understsnd how
> to get started or what to do is little compared to the hours of work
> they will contribute in the future. I have no doubt that we all were
> in a diaper drooling all over ourselves at some point.

You are right, it's not easy to understand all the stuff of how to
package software for Debian. But maybe you expect to much at the wrong
place (also called trolling by others). I suggest spoon-feeding is done
on debian-mentors@l.d.o, not here. You were hinted to debian-mentors
several times now, but as far I can see you didn't show up there. What
should be done next? Do you want a school bus picking you up at home and
driving you to debian-mentors (where ever this might be)?

But despite the fact that it's not easy to understand all the stuff: I
don't know how all the predecessors, who in deed didn't get their skills
by the ingenious genes of their parents at birth, could have much done
better in documenting. You can find all the stuff you need.

If it's all so complicated then it might be that's due to the complexity
of the topic it self. Yes, managing a whole Linux distribution like
Debian *is* complex, and all the more I admire what can be achieved
solely by the contribution of volunteers.

But also with minor complex tasks you are welcome to contribute, as has
been pointed out already. Maybe beginning with packaging really isn't
the right thing for you, but hey, there are alternatives. For a more or
less complete list of available options have a look on the Debian
website here: http://www.debian.org/intro/help

I hope I could shed a dim light on what's wrong with your expectations.

Micha