Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

* Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> [070829 00:22]:
> Why should we force 7000+ source packages clean their environment
> when debuild/pbuilder/sbuild etc will do that anyway? Worse, it's
> not even trivial to clean environment in a Makefile.

Because those source packages are a large amount of code, so people will
finaly copy things from there to other places. And maintainers not aware
of bugs they introduce in build scripts (as a castrated sterile build
environment requirement would reduce any chance to catch them) will also
use them in non-build scripts. So we will end up with a totally buggy
system, where some environment variables with special meaning exist but
you cannot use them because of too many buggy programs.

> Howabout documenting it as a fact that debian packages should be
> built in sanitized environment.

I'm strongly against this. Users should not be forced into hassles to
build their own packages. One of the main points of free software it the
users being allowed to modify it. Adding artifical limits to that (like
always being able to become root on every build machine to configure
that chroot generation stuff) just because some maintainers are allowed
to create buggy code, is no service to anyone.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link