Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

> >> Many packages FTBFS (silently!) if an environment variable TAPE is set.

> Perhaps dpkg-buildpackage should unset TAPE...?

pbuilder and other tools already do that when chrooting? Tar's $TAPE
behaviour fails the principle of least suprise. Tar developers
should reconsider the usability implications of such feature.

For packages, I think $TAPE is hardly the only environment variable
that can change package outcome. Atleast the locale variables can wreck
havoc for builds. Or consider setting AWKPATH or even PATH to something
strange... Clearly packagers should not need to take care of all
possible enviroment misconfigurations.

That's why we tell people to use pbuilder.