Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:15:35 +0300, Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> said:

>> Perhaps dpkg-buildpackage should unset TAPE...?

> pbuilder and other tools already do that when chrooting? Tar's $TAPE
> behaviour fails the principle of least suprise. Tar developers should
> reconsider the usability implications of such feature.

> For packages, I think $TAPE is hardly the only environment variable
> that can change package outcome. Atleast the locale variables can
> wreck havoc for builds. Or consider setting AWKPATH or even PATH to
> something strange... Clearly packagers should not need to take care of
> all possible enviroment misconfigurations.

> That's why we tell people to use pbuilder.

        I think I disagree with the reason given for this advice.  What
 is the end goal that we are trying to achieve? Is it to upload binary
 packages that build despite leaving flaws i the build process? Always
 building in pbuilder masks errors like the $TAPE error; we would have
 been better off having the build fail and be corrected.

        Are we not supposed to be a valuable members of the free
 software community?  Part of the promise of free software is that
 people *SHARE* source code; so our sources should be robust enough for
 our users to tinker with on their machines, and to be buildable on
 development platforms, not just some sanitized hothouse build
 environment.

        I posit that always building in make software more fragile (and
 more standardized, and repeatable, which is good, but fragile
 nevertheless).

        Me, I would try to build in pbuilder while I am trying to figure
 out what the build dependencies are, and periodically on new upstream
 to ensure the build dependencies have not shifted, but other times I
 would build and test on my own machine, to more closely replicate the
 environment that downstream users might have.

        manoj
--
Documentation is the castor oil of programming. Managers know it must be
good because the programmers hate it so much.