Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 09:36, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> You wrote:
> > But most people simply don't know that their rules file corrupts
> > tapes. First thing would be to detect these packages. This could
> > be done in the autobuild procedure done on the debian hosts, e.g.
> > by setting $TAPE to point to some kind of "watchdog file".
>
> It should also be possible to detect with with lintian, I would think.
> Simply checking for a tar invocation without -f option should do the
> trick.

I'm not sure if such a check would be easy to implement reliably in lintian.

This really sounds like a check that could be implemented using Mole. That is
(or will be) very well suited to test the entire archive e.g. with such
a "strange" build environment, in the way Harald suggests.

Thijs