Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

On 28/08/07 at 13:49 +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2007 09:36, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> > You wrote:
> > > But most people simply don't know that their rules file corrupts
> > > tapes. First thing would be to detect these packages. This could
> > > be done in the autobuild procedure done on the debian hosts, e.g.
> > > by setting $TAPE to point to some kind of "watchdog file".
> >
> > It should also be possible to detect with with lintian, I would think.
> > Simply checking for a tar invocation without -f option should do the
> > trick.
>
> I'm not sure if such a check would be easy to implement reliably in lintian.
>
> This really sounds like a check that could be implemented using Mole. That is
> (or will be) very well suited to test the entire archive e.g. with such
> a "strange" build environment, in the way Harald suggests.

From what I have understood so far about Mole (and I might be wrong),
Mole is not a silver that will make it dead easy to implement QA tests.
It will help QA data storage and data mining by providing a single,
central place for all QA test results, and help distributing the load of
doing the actual tests.

But to do this actual test, using a slightly modified sbuild [the
packaged one] sounds like a much better plan. One would have to set the
env variable before starting the build, and add a check in sbuild so
that if complains if the fake tape has been written to.

I can run the test rebuild over all packages if someone provides a
working patch against sbuild. Also, can someone give an example package
that should fail that test?