Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

Hi Bas,

You could write 'tar cfz file.tgz files' instead of 'tar -c -f file.tgz -z files'.
Seems that looking for a missing '-f' or 'f' would be pretty error-prone and
much more difficult than a simple "test ! -s watchdog.tar" after building
the package.

My point is: We need some central quality check here, however it is done.
Many packages use 'tar' in their rules file. Surely every maintainer should
verify his/her own package. But in this case a central check would be cheap
and easy to implement. Almost zero effort compared to the damage done by
corrupting tapes.

Regards

Harri
Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
Hi Harald!

It should also be possible to detect with with lintian, I would think.
Simply checking for a tar invocation without -f option should do the
trick.

Regards,
Bas.