Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

Hi Harald!

You wrote:

> I am sure you agree that this is a fatal failure in the package.
> It should be
>
> 	tar cf - modules | bzip2 -9 > omfs.tar.bz2
>
> But most people simply don't know that their rules file corrupts
> tapes. First thing would be to detect these packages. This could
> be done in the autobuild procedure done on the debian hosts, e.g.
> by setting $TAPE to point to some kind of "watchdog file".

It should also be possible to detect with with lintian, I would think.
Simply checking for a tar invocation without -f option should do the
trick.

Regards,
Bas.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |