Re: many packages FTBFS, if $TAPE is set

#include <hallo.h>
* Harald Dunkel [Tue, Aug 28 2007, 01:27:22PM]:
> Hi Bas,
>
> You could write 'tar cfz file.tgz files' instead of 'tar -c -f file.tgz -z
> files'.

No, because the outcome is not the same. It uses pure gzip and usually
people want more gzip (or bzip2) options when using it in a pipe, eg.
maximum compression with bzip2 -9.

That said, I feel guilty for adding that particular bad example (without
-f-) in the documentation of module-assistant. Sorry people.

> verify his/her own package. But in this case a central check would be cheap
> and easy to implement. Almost zero effort compared to the damage done by
> corrupting tapes.

Oh, come on. People who put $TAPE into the default environment may also
link /dev/null to /dev/hda (or /dev/sda) and complain to the coretutils
maintainer because ln isn't unable to think for them.

Eduard.
--
<teff> moment, nmuß ich erst wieder linux booten. irc als root is irgendwie
	nich:o)