Re: PHPhear and MySQLoathing in Debian? (was: Request for set up of kudos.debian.org)

On Monday 27 August 2007 02:10:43 am Ben Finney wrote:
> Note that I'm well aware of arguments against using either of PHP or
> MySQL *in general*. I'm wondering why you give this recommendation
> that seems to be *specific* to setting up a web service for Debian.

because for many people "don't write a webapp unless you know what you're
doing" is synonymous with "don't write a php/mysql app".  sort of an unfair
stereotype, really, but reinforced by the number of crappy LAMP applications
and inexperienced programmers out there in the wild.  and the php engine
itself hasn't exactly had the best track record security-wise.

that said there *are* php pages run on debian.org machines, and if your'e an
experienced php coder then i think it would be rediculous to bend over
backwards to try and write it in something else.   but you might face a
little extra scrutiny from the powers that be if you come to them with a
large chunk of unaudited php code to run on their machines.

then again, ianadsa, and neither is anyone else who has thus far commented...

	sean