Re: Requesting advice regarding creating a custom Debian distribution

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 10:03:57PM -0400, icelinux@icelinux.net wrote:
>  Let me explain to you the why I have decided to start the project. I
> have searched for a lightweight distribution and none of what is
> available has been what I wanted for one reason or another. I also
> have used IceWM on an older laptop for a while and like it. Debain has
> most of what I need for a desktop, but it is trial and error to find
> what fits and somewhat of a pain to install everything ;)
>  Picture if you will the person who wants to try debian on an older
> machine, not only do they not have the skills to configure everything
> from the command line but they do not know what to install.
>  Picture installation from a dialup modem. to do this one has 2 options.
>    Option 1) Download all of the CD's, as the old machine does not
> have a dvd player.
>    Option 2) Download the net install CD and install everything over dialup.
>  Enter option 3 - my option - download 1 CD and install everything
> they need. Anything not included can then be installed from the debian
> repository. Problem solved.
I have seen 2 project that are relevent:
1) stem linux (it may have changed names or may be dead), it sought to
test various applications for memory footprint and determined what was
the best in various application catagories and picked the best and
packaged that ONE.

This information would be helpful to Debian and other proejcts for
recommendation for low-end hardware.

2) deli linux, this one has a few hand packaged apps in a slackware-like
format. The main advantage is that it uses ulibc iirc, and is targeted
for low end hardware (I run it on a p75/32mb libretto [0]).

#2 is active, but installation is primitive and dependcy handling is
non-existant (using ldd on binaries).
If someone could add apt-get support for deli-linux, thats cool.

But one of the issues people on debian-user have mentioned on low-memory
(and low cpu) hardware is the long wait for apt-get and friends to run
(if at all).
-Kev
[0] This machine has no floppy support, no network, no cdrom, no usb. I
removed the 2.5 hdd and installed deli with qemu, an hdd iso file and a
usb hdd enclosure for the removed hdd.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|