Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> writes:

> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > As you don't seem to have understood at all, let me repeat it:
> > XMMS is unmaintained. GTK+ 1.2 is unmaintained. Anyone who wants
> > to see xmms remain in Debian should take over maintainership for
> > both, including upstream maintenance and all that it implies.
>
> As you don't seem to have understood at all, none of the xmms
> alternatives are up to par with xmms, with many of them having
> usability or stability problems. Anyone who wants to see xmms
> removed from Debian should step up and do whatever is required to
> get at least one of the alternatives in a somewhat usable shape.
>
> See? It works the other way around too :-)

No. Removal of a package (that isn't part of the standard install)
does *not* require adding a package to replace it.

On the other hand, packages that are unmaintained, and that have
dependencies also unmaintained, are cruft to be removed.

--
 \       "As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, |
  `\    the Internet deserves the highest protection from governmental |