Re: making debian/copyright machine-interpretable

François Févotte wrote:

I'm not an expert at all, so I might be wrong. I guess this would be
the case if your source package compiled a statically linked binary
against a library belonging to another source package. The licence of
the binary package would then be a combination of the licences of
boths the source files and the library.

True, you would need the debian/copyright files from all relevant source packages, but in itself that wouldn't be a huge problem.

The only thing I've been able to come up with is the idea that in some cases all code with a particular license could end up being optimized away, so that license would not apply to the executable (I think). Is that what's being referred to?

Dave.