Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

"Tim Hull" <thully@umich.edu> writes:

> I disagree, as this applies to all drivers - not just non-free drivers.
> As it stands, users have to figure out what chipset their hardware uses,
> install "build-essential" and the proper driver source package, and then
> m-a a-i the relevant package.  This can be quite confusing to the
> average user.

Only for non-free drivers, which simply are not a priority for Debian at
the same level as free drivers (and this prioritization is a foundational
statement of the project).

For free drivers, prebuilt modules should already be in the archive.
There are a few that haven't yet been incorporated into the packages that
handle those builds, but I believe most of them are there.