Re: [CMake] Producing deb package with 'ar'

Hi Antti-Juhani

On 8/6/07, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <antti-juhani@kaijanaho.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:34:40PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> >   I am currently working on integrating debian packaging system in
> > cpack (part of CMake, see cmake.org). Basically cpack used to have a
> > simple tarball system for creating package on *NIX. I simply had to
> > encapsulate this tarball within an 'ar'ball, with a control and a
> > md5sums file (*)
>
> I recommend reading the deb(5) man page; there may be surprises.

Hum... I don't see anything surprising (debian oldstable). I have been
listing the file in the correct order:

 $ ar -r bla.deb debian-binary control.tar.gz data.tar.gz

And the magic number seems to be ok (!<arch>)

> >   I am now wondering if I should also create some sort of debian
> > 'source' package. As far as I understand there is no such thing, but
> > instead your are distributing a copy of the original tarball of the
> > package and a diff file. Is this correct ?
>
> It's not.  A Debian source package consists of two to three files.  The
> main file has the suffix .dsc; it specifies source package metadata and
> what other files are needed.  The other files are a tarball and an
> optional diff.  See
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html#s-pkg-sourcearchives
> .

sweet !
thanks for the link. So according to this page I might even be able to
generate a single tarball:

If there is no original source code - for example, if the package is
specially prepared for Debian or the Debian maintainer is the same as
the upstream maintainer - the format is slightly different: then there
is no diff, and the tarfile is named package_version.tar.gz, and
preferably contains a directory named package-version

Thanks for the link.

> Also note that packages intended for installation in a Debian system
> should follow Debian policy.  This may be nontrivial to achieve using an
> automated system like (I assume) cmake.
>   See http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

That's a completely separate issue. I believe that once a package has
been approved, any minor modification will not impact this initial
decision. So this will be up to the maintainer to follow the debian
policy IMHO. My initial plan is simply to have the whole process of
generating a debian package of cmake using cmake...

Thanks
-Mathieu