Re: [CMake] Producing deb package with 'ar'

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:34:40PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>   I am currently working on integrating debian packaging system in
> cpack (part of CMake, see cmake.org). Basically cpack used to have a
> simple tarball system for creating package on *NIX. I simply had to
> encapsulate this tarball within an 'ar'ball, with a control and a
> md5sums file (*)

I recommend reading the deb(5) man page; there may be surprises.

>   I am now wondering if I should also create some sort of debian
> 'source' package. As far as I understand there is no such thing, but
> instead your are distributing a copy of the original tarball of the
> package and a diff file. Is this correct ?

It's not.  A Debian source package consists of two to three files.  The
main file has the suffix .dsc; it specifies source package metadata and
what other files are needed.  The other files are a tarball and an
optional diff.  See
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-sourcepkg.html#s-pkg-sourcearchives
.

Also note that packages intended for installation in a Debian system
should follow Debian policy.  This may be nontrivial to achieve using an
automated system like (I assume) cmake.
  See http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä