Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:35:56PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
>
> > This is not a question of removing choice.  This change in apt is the
> > only thing that *gives* you a choice of installing recommends via apt.
> > That the solution for disabling this in your use case is not immediately
> > obvious is not a reason to not adopt a reasonable default in apt.
>
> I think it's also particularly annoying for our two major recommended
> package installation interfaces, aptitude and apt-get, to do the opposite
> thing by default with this core of a feature.  What a recipe for
> confusion for the average user who doesn't know the history and doesn't
> choose them based on their Recommends-handling behavior!  We shouldn't be
> substituting tool selection for configuration.

Recently apt and aptitude got closer together again and share the
recommends logic and the automatic depenency information now. I'm very
happy about this. Daniel Burrows did a lot of great work in this area
(thanks!).

This should minimize one source of confusion at least :)

Cheers,
 Michael