Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 08:46:29PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> Recommends does NOT apply to everyone - that is Policy. What apt is now
> doing is undermining Policy by removing that CHOICE to not use any
> recommended packages.

No, what Policy says is:

     `Recommends'
          This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.

          The `Recommends' field should list packages that would be found
          together with this one in all but unusual installations.

This is quite clear that 'Recommends' is supposed to contain packages that
will be installed together with the package in the common case, which in
turn means that the default behavior for apt *should* be to install
recommended packages.

This is not a question of removing choice.  This change in apt is the only
thing that *gives* you a choice of installing recommends via apt.  That the
solution for disabling this in your use case is not immediately obvious is
not a reason to not adopt a reasonable default in apt.